Reminder: Celebrate Caribbean Heritage Month with Two Events This Month
Did you know? In 2005, the U.S. House of Representatives adopted this commemoration to “recognize the significance of Caribbean people and their descendants in the history and culture of the United States. The resolution passed the Senate in Feb. 2006 and President George H.W. Bush issued the proclamation in June 2006. Since the declaration, the White House has issued an annual proclamation recognizing June as Caribbean-American Heritage Month.”
On June 5, the City of Tamarac’s Parks and Recreation hosts a Family Fun Day in honor of Caribbean Heritage Month. Come out and enjoy:
- The park’s splash pad
- Event activities
- Live music from the T-Wave Band
- A steel drum performance
- When: June 5, 3:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Where: Waters Edge Park, 7508 NW 61st St, Tamarac, FL 33321
- More information: Call 954-597-3620 or visit tamarac.org/specialevents
Concert on the Green in Celebration of Caribbean Heritage Month
- When: Friday, June 11th, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Where: Colony West Golf Club, 6800 NW 88th Avenue, Tamarac, FL 33321
- More details:
- Seating on the Green is free (no reservation required)
- Please bring your lawn chairs and blankets
- Food and drinks available for purchase
- Limited table seating available for a superb experience. Reserve a table for up to 4 people for $50 on the patio or terrace. The reservation fee will be applied to your food and beverage order. Reserve your table at http://bit.ly/ConcertontheGreen.
- More information: Visit https://tamarac.org/231/Special-Events
Looking ahead: “Reading with My Dad” on June 12
On June 12, attend this interactive reading of “Papa, Do You Love Me?” and enjoy hands-on activities and lunch.
- When: June 12, 10:00 am – noon
- Where: Tamarac Recreation Center, Tamarac Park, 7501 North University Drive, Tamarac, FL 33321
- Cost: $10 for dad and guest
- More details: Space is limited to 24 dads; visit Tamarac.me/Events to register
Reminder: City Provides Residents Free Rides to the Tamarac Farmers’ Market
- When: On the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month. The shuttle service will pick up residents from their homes prior to 10:00 am; the return shuttle will leave the park at 12:00 pm.
- Where: The Farmers Market is held at Veterans Memorial Park
- More details: This free service is available for Tamarac Residents only
- More information: Please call 954-597-3649.
City of Tamarac Food Pantry Open to Qualified Residents
The City’s Food Pantry is open to qualified residents the 1st and 2nd Thursday of every month while supplies last!
Residents can visit once a month to receive a supply of non-perishable food, such as canned vegetables, beans, fruits, meats, pasta, nut butters, jams, baby food and formula.
With COVID-19 safety in mind, the Pantry operates by appointment only on the first and second Thursday of each month. Only one member of a registered household may be served during their scheduled 30-minute session. Masks are required for the duration of each visit.
- When: By appointment only on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month, while supplies last
- Where: Call 954-597-3626 to schedule an appointment
- Must be a Tamarac resident
- Must be experiencing a financial hardship
- Must be within these income guidelines*:
*Per City of Tamarac
Additional Upcoming Food Distribution Events
The Korean United Methodist Church of South Florida, at 6501 W. Commercial Blvd., is hosting its food distribution events from 8:00 am – 10:30 a.m. on most Saturdays.
Tamarac Community Farmers Market
- When: Every Sunday, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Where: Veteran’s Memorial Park, 7825 Southgate Blvd., Tamarac, Florida
- Cost: Free
- More Information: Click here for more information.
- More Details: The farmer’s market is a great place to shop for fresh produce, tea, honey, sauces, baked goods, hummus, pickles, and other artisanal goodies. At the market, you’ll be able to meet the producers and even sample their locally prepared, all-natural products.
Did You Know?
Sponsor a special event!
Sponsoring a special event is a great marketing approach to reach your desired audience. By partnering with the City of Tamarac, we will provide you with an avenue to promote your business and assist in increasing visibility in the community. Contact the Tamarac Parks and Recreation Department at 954-597-3624 for more information.
Concert in the Park Band Inquiries
To submit your band’s information for upcoming Concert in the Park events, please email the City and include your band’s name, music genre, and links to your website, YouTube channel, etc. Submission does not guarantee a spot in the concert line-up.
Food Truck and Food Vendor Inquiries
Submit your information by email to be put on the City’s food vendor list.