The slower pace of summer, along with a bit less traffic than during our winter “season,” is a great time to explore places a little farther from home. Here are some places to check out during the dog days of July:
Bonnet House Museum and Gardens
As noted on their website, “Built in 1920 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Bonnet House Museum & Gardens is one of the few complete homes and studios of two American artists with original furnishings open to the public. Nestled among miles of beachfront development are 35 acres of a native barrier island ecosystem.
This summer, Bonnet House is running several specials which can be found here.
Jazz Legends at the Ali Exhibition
As noted on the Pompano Beach Arts website, “Jazz Legends at the Ali is an exhibition that showcases historic photos of jazz legends curated from the open domain photographs from the William P. Gottlieb Collection from the Library of Congress. Gottlieb’s “Golden Age of Jazz” publication is an acclaimed documentation of American Culture in Washington D.C. and New York City from 1938 to 1948, a time where jazz music thrived, featuring photographs of jazz musicians such as Charlie Parker, Billie Holiday, Dizzy Gillespie, Earl Hines, Thelonious Monk, Stan Kenton, Ray McKinley, Benny Goodman, Coleman Hawkins, Ella Fitzgerald, and Benny Carter.”
If you’ve never visited this Coral Gables landmark, you’re in for a real treat and, like many south Florida natives and near-natives, you’ll ask yourself, “Why have I never been here?”
The Venetian Pool website notes that “The Venetian Pool is an aquatic facility unlike any other in the country. It has been enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world, and is still one of the main tourist attractions for those visiting the City of Coral Gables.
The pool was created in 1923 from a coral rock quarry, where much of the original coral rock was used to border and further accentuate the pool. It also features two large historic lookout towers, with a view to the City Beautiful.
The 820,000 gallon pool is fed with spring water from an underground aquifer. In the spring and summer seasons, the pool is filled and drained daily!
Of course the aquifer is not the only feature that enhances a visitor’s experience. There are two waterfalls that provide a scenic backdrop as well as the cave-like grottos which provide a fun experience for swimmers.
The Venetian Pool’s beauty is further accentuated by its loggias, porticos, palm trees and signature bridge. It truly is an unforgettable experience!”
Teen Summer Gym Program
Teens can now sign up for their very own gym membership!
- When: Summer Shape-Up Special Rate is good from June 1 – August 31, 2021
- Where: Tamarac Aquatic Wellness Center, 9300 NW 58th St, Tamarac, FL 33321
- 13-15-year-olds: $20
- 16–17-year-olds: $35
- More information: Please call (954)597-3660
City of Tamarac Men’s Basketball is Back!
- Open registration for returning players begins Monday, June 21
- Open registration for new players begins Monday, July 12
- Where: Tamarac Community Center, 8601 West Commercial Boulevard, Tamarac, FL 33351
- Tamarac residents: $95
- Non-residents: $105
- More details:
- League is for ages 35+
- Games begin August 12
- More information: Please call (954) 597-3620
City Provides Residents Free Rides to the Tamarac Farmers’ Market
- When: On the 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month. The shuttle service will pick up residents from their homes prior to 10:00 am; the return shuttle will leave the park at 12:00 pm.
- Where: The Farmers Market is held at Veterans Memorial Park
- More details: This free service is available for Tamarac Residents only
- More information: Please call 954-597-3649.
City of Tamarac Food Pantry Open to Qualified Residents
The City’s Food Pantry is open to qualified residents the 1st and 2nd Thursday of every month while supplies last!
Residents can visit once a month to receive a supply of non-perishable food, such as canned vegetables, beans, fruits, meats, pasta, nut butters, jams, baby food and formula.
With COVID-19 safety in mind, the Pantry operates by appointment only on the first and second Thursday of each month. Only one member of a registered household may be served during their scheduled 30-minute session. Masks are required for the duration of each visit.
- When: By appointment only on the 1st and 2nd Thursday of every month, while supplies last
- Where: Call 954-597-3626 to schedule an appointment
- Must be a Tamarac resident
- Must be experiencing a financial hardship
- Must be within these income guidelines*:
*Per City of Tamarac
Additional Upcoming Food Distribution Events
The Korean United Methodist Church of South Florida, at 6501 W. Commercial Blvd., is hosting its food distribution events from 8:00 am – 10:30 a.m. on most Saturdays.
Note: For further details on Tamarac’s Social Services programs, visit https://www.tamarac.org/573/Social-Services.
Tamarac Community Farmers Market
- When: Every Sunday, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Where: Veteran’s Memorial Park, 7825 Southgate Blvd., Tamarac, Florida
- Cost: Free
- More Information: Click here for more information.
- More Details: The farmer’s market is a great place to shop for fresh produce, tea, honey, sauces, baked goods, hummus, pickles, and other artisanal goodies. At the market, you’ll be able to meet the producers and even sample their locally prepared, all-natural products.
Did You Know?
Sponsor a special event!
Sponsoring a special event is a great marketing approach to reach your desired audience. By partnering with the City of Tamarac, we will provide you with an avenue to promote your business and assist in increasing visibility in the community. Contact the Tamarac Parks and Recreation Department at 954-597-3624 for more information.
Concert in the Park Band Inquiries
To submit your band’s information for upcoming Concert in the Park events, please email the City and include your band’s name, music genre, and links to your website, YouTube channel, etc. Submission does not guarantee a spot in the concert line-up.
Food Truck and Food Vendor Inquiries
Submit your information by email to be put on the City’s food vendor list.