Now’s a great time to be inspired by art. This exhibit is called a “Museum Without Walls”; Inspiration Way is a sculpture program promoting the appreciation of fine art. In addition, it enhances our outdoor spaces and enriches our lives with art that both residents and visitors will find compelling.
The temporary exhibit is located on Nob Hill Road between Commercial Boulevard and McNab Road, where it will remain until September. The sculptures will then be removed and replaced with new pieces. The City of Tamarac is looking for residents and visitors to help identify and recognize the artist whose sculpture has most inspired the community.
Voting ends August 23 at 5 pm.
The sculptures in this month’s exhibit are:
- Three Blue Spires
- Blue Geometric
- Circular Motion
According to the City, the objective of Inspiration Way is to:
- enhance the quality of life for the residents of the City of Tamarac
- increase awareness and understanding of public art
- promote sculpture on Nob Hill and the City of Tamarac as a cultural destination for visitors
- provide a showcase for local, regional, and national artists
The participating artists were selected in April. The call to artists was open to all artists nationwide; Florida artists were encouraged to apply.
The criteria for selection included, but was not limited to:
- Artwork which is durable and requires minimal ongoing maintenance, particularly considering our hot and humid climate
- Sculptures which are designed and constructed in a way that allows for them to be securely anchored to a concrete pad.
The selected artists received a total honorarium of $2,500 per selected piece, which includes any expenses incurred. The honoraria are paid out in two installments: $1,250 upon successful installation of the piece and $1,250 once the art is successfully removed at the end of the display period.
The selected artists are working with the city’s Public Art Administrators.
The winning artist will receive a $1000 Cash Award for Best of Show.
Many thanks to the artists, and to the members of the Tamarac Public Art Committee:
- Tobey Archer, Chair
- Elliot Bastien
- Rowena Smith
- Brian Zambrano
- Phil Prentice
- Public Art Administrators
- George Gadson and Beth Ravitz, Managing Partners
- Gadson & Ravitz, LLC
You can view the sculptures “in real life” on Nob Hill Road, and you can also see the “candidates” online and cast your vote by visiting this link, where you’ll see a slideshow of the sculptures included in this Museum Without Walls. At the end of the slideshow, you’ll be able to cast your vote on the last page.