- For the most up-to-date information on City meetings, including full agendas, cancellations, changes of venue, or changes to times/dates, visit the City’s “Meetings” page here
At the time of this writing, the City of Tamarac has no meetings scheduled for the week of July 18.
Summer is an excellent time to learn more about our city!
Did you know? The City of Tamarac offers a free, interactive, 8-week course. Students of “Tamarac University” visit City facilities and learn more about the role of local government and public service from both elected officials and City staff.
Tamarac University, offered twice a year, also serves as a training ground for those wishing to volunteer, and provides networking opportunities for civic-minded residents.
Past participants, commenting on the City’s Facebook page, have great things to say about Tamarac University:
“I took this class several years ago. It was great and very informative. Staff was and always is so knowledgeable and professional. Well done!!”
“Still have my graduation picture. You’re correct you get to meet all the department heads and they will answer all your questions. It’s a great course and well worth the time investment.”
*PLEASE NOTE: As a Tamarac University student, you will be visiting the secure BSO Tamarac District headquarters and could be exposed to sensitive information. Therefore, all accepted students will be required to undergo a background screening. Admittance to the program is contingent upon the background screening.
Sign up now for the Fall session!
- Classes begin Tuesday September 6, 2022
- Deadline to apply is Friday, July 22, 2022
- Cost: Free
- More details:
- Week 1 includes a program overview
- In Week 2, students will visit BSO Tamarac District HQ and learn more about the Broward Sheriff’s Office.
- Weeks 3 – 8 include a variety of interesting topics, from learning more about the City Clerk’s office to City financial services and much more.
- Graduation will be held on November 9
- The full class schedule for the Fall session is available here.
- The application, along with additional important information, is available here; please note that only complete applications will be considered.
Free Income Support Services Available
Hispanic Unity of Florida, in partnership with the City of Tamarac, will begin providing a Navigator to assist residents with applying to several programs, including:
- Affordable Care Act/Obamacare
- Florida KidCare
- SNAP/Food Stamps
- When: Every Monday, beginning on July 11th and ending on October 10th, from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Where: Tamarac Community Center, 8601 W Commercial Blvd, Tamarac, FL 33351
- More information: Please call 954-597-3642
Have You Registered for Code RED?
Although we’ve now (thankfully) been through a little over a month of hurricane season, it’s not too late to sign up for Code RED!
OnSolve CodeRED is an emergency notification system which allows City officials to alert businesses and residents about emergency situations. This is a particularly useful service during hurricane season.
To sign up for Code RED, click here.
To learn more about Code RED, click here.
Apply for the City’s Compost Rebate Program
Composting is a great, green way to recycle items such as fruit or vegetable scraps and yard trimmings, providing important nutrients for garden soil. It also helps retain moisture, which can save water, help prevent erosion, and loosen compacted soil, resulting in better drainage.
If you’re a Tamarac resident, you may qualify for a $50 rebate through this program, whether you’re a single-family homeowner choosing an outdoor unit, or a multifamily resident purchasing a countertop unit.
- When: The original sales receipt must be dated between March 1, 2022, and September 30, 2022.
- More details:
- The rebate must be submitted by a Tamarac resident who currently resides at the home, either a tenant or an owner-occupier.
- Landlords are not eligible to claim a rebate for their rental properties.
- The program is for residential customers only, commercial requests are not eligible.
- Funds are limited, offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Once funds are depleted, rebates are no longer available for the fiscal year and any unfunded applications will be returned to the applicant.
- For full details and additional guidelines, click here.
- More information: Call the Public Services Department at 954-597-3700 or visit the City’s Composting Program webpage here.
Construction Continues at Nob Hill Road and Southgate Boulevard
- When: Broward County’s Highway Construction and Engineering Division construction is expected to conclude in September 2022.
- Where: The intersection of Nob Hill Road and Southgate Boulevard
- More details:
The project will include:
- Additional storage capacity for the eastbound, westbound, and southbound left turning lanes
- Drainage improvements
- Construction of mast arm supported traffic signalization
- Milling and resurfacing and upgraded pedestrian ramps, signage, and pavement markings
Tamarac is Hiring!
As of this writing, the City of Tamarac has over a dozen positions posted, from a Bus Driver – On Call to a Structural Inspector, and many more. Applicants can check out available positions here.
If you’re interested in a particular position and don’t see any current openings, you can sign up for job alerts here.
The city offers a variety of benefits, including financial benefits such as pension plans, credit union memberships; health benefits including group policies and sick leave; and personal benefits such as an Education Assistance Program and personal/vacation leave.
To explore the city’s employee benefits, click here.
Ongoing Pine Island Road Traffic Signal Improvements
This project, which will upgrade the existing traffic signal communications from cellular to high-speed fiber-optics along Pine Island Road from Oakland Park Boulevard to McNab Road, began on August 2, 2021. The upgrades are part of the Mobility Advancement Program (MAP) Broward, formerly known as the “Penny for Transportation” program, and is Broward County’s transportation surtax approved by voters in 2018.
- The project is expected to be completed in July 2022
- Broward County is managing the project
- Contractor: Horsepower Electric, Inc.
- Contacts for Concerns or Emergencies:
Note: You can find all of the Broward County Municipal Capital Projects here; it includes several projects in Tamarac.
- The public may watch meetings online through the city’s website (https://www.tamarac.org/1113/Meetings), or via Facebook Live.
- Unless otherwise indicated, in-person meetings are held in the Commission Chamber at 7525 NW 88th Avenue, Tamarac, Florida 33321. If you’re planning to attend a meeting in-person, please be aware that seating is limited in accordance with CDC guidelines, and attendees are required to wear a mask.
- Upcoming public meetings are listed on the city website at https://www.tamarac.org/1113/Meetings, along with their respective agendas, links to watch the meetings online, and links to sign up for public participation if applicable.
- In addition, here’s important information about City Commission meetings:
- The City Commission holds a workshop meeting on the Monday prior to each regular commission meeting at 9:30 am in City Hall, Conference Room 105, where agenda items are discussed at length. Regular commission meetings are held on the second and fourth Wednesday of the month at 7 pm or 9:30 am, respectively, in the City Hall Commission Chambers. Special topic workshops are scheduled as needed.
- Any member of the public, wishing to comment publicly on the record, on any matter, may sign up with the City Clerk before or during the meeting. If any member of the public requires additional information about this City Commission meeting or has any questions about how to sign up or submit a comment at the meeting, please contact:Jennifer Johnson, City Clerk
City of Tamarac
7525 NW 88th Avenue
Tamarac, FL 33321