City Building Department Resumes In-Person Customer Service Operations
On May 24, the City’s Building Department resumed in-person customer service operations. For safety and convenience, you can use the “My Mobile Check-In” App and wait for services from the comfort of your vehicle. Learn more, and scan the QR code to download the app, at this link.
City Meetings This Week
At this time, there are no City meetings scheduled for this week; note that City offices are closed on May 31 in observance of Memorial Day.
City of Tamarac Memorial Day Observance
Join friends and neighbors at the City of Tamarac’s Memorial Day observance to pay tribute to those who gave their lives to protect our freedom.
In Case You Missed It: Home Fire Sprinkler Week May 16-22
Did you know that, according to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries? The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking.
This year’s Home Fire Sprinkler Week covered the following important topics:
- Monday May 17: “Fire is Fast!” Click this link to learn more about how quickly fires spread
- Tuesday May 18: “Fire Sprinklers Are Part of Fire-Safe Communities”
- Wednesday May 19: “It’s Easy to Live with Home Fire Sprinklers”
- Thursday May 20: “Fire Sprinklers are Smart and Green”
- Friday May 22, 2020: “Protect What You Value Most”
The First of Three State of Florida Tax Holidays Begins May 28
This year, Florida will have three sales tax holidays:
- May 28 – June 6: Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday
During this tax holiday, you can stock up on many hurricane supplies, including flashlights, generators, and batteries; all are exempt from sales tax within certain criteria.
- July 1 – 7: Freedom Week Sales Tax Holiday
- According to the Florida Senate, purchases of admission to many events, including sporting events, cultural event, movies, museums, and much more will be exempt from sales tax during this inaugural “Freedom Week.” In addition, this tax exemption includes the purchase of supplies for camping, boating, and a host of other outdoor activities.
- You can learn more about qualifying purchases here.
- July 31- August 9: Back to School Sales Tax Holiday
According to the Florida Senate, this sales tax holiday will apply to “clothing, footwear, and backpacks costing $60 or less, school supplies costing $15 or less, and the first $1,000 of the sales tax price of personal computers or personal computer-related accessories.”
The public may watch meetings online through the City’s website (https://www.tamarac.org/1113/Meetings), or via Facebook Live.
Note that Tamarac has transitioned back to in-person meetings [in some cases]. Unless otherwise indicated, in-person meetings are held in the Commission Chamber at 7525 NW 88th Avenue, Tamarac, Florida. If you’re planning to attend a meeting in-person, please be aware that seating is limited in accordance with CDC guidelines, and attendees are required to wear a mask.
Upcoming public meetings are listed on the City website at https://www.tamarac.org/1113/Meetings, along with their respective agendas, links to watch the meetings online, and links to sign up for public participation if applicable.
In addition, here’s important information about City Commission meetings:
The City Commission holds a workshop meeting on the Monday prior to each regular commission meeting at 9:30 am in City Hall, Conference Room 105, where agenda items are discussed at length. Regular commission meetings are held on the second and fourth Wednesday of the month at 7 pm or 9:30 am, respectively, in the City Hall Commission Chambers. Special topic workshops are scheduled as needed.
Amended for Virtual Meetings
- Email comments to CityClerk@Tamarac.org. All comments submitted by email, that if read orally, are three minutes or less shall be read into the record. All comments submitted by email shall be made part of the public record.
- Submit comments online during the meeting through the City of Tamarac’s Facebook page.
- Comment via telephone by registering online at https://www.Tamarac.org/SignUp. Individuals who register will be contacted by telephone at the appropriate time during the meeting to offer their public comments.
For additional information about virtual meetings and how to submit comments, please contact Jennifer Johnson, City Clerk, 7525 NW 88th Avenue, Tamarac, FL 33321, (954) 597-3505, email@example.com.