As the city continues to attract different cultures as well as young families, Tamarac’s demographics have been changing and will continue to change. To best serve residents and businesses, the City continually evaluates the services it provides, to ensure that programs and services offered meet the needs of the population.
At the same time, Tamarac gets ever-closer to “build-out,” leaving less available land for open spaces such as parks, recreational facilities, and nature areas.
In order to articulate the City’s vision, mission and values, and to have a solid plan that meets the vision, mission and values of Tamarac in the future, the City worked with AECom Technical Services, Inc. to prepare a Parks, Recreation, and Social Services Master Plan. AECom bills itself as “the world’s premier infrastructure consulting firm, partnering with clients to solve the world’s most complex challenges and build legacies for generations to come.”
Here are just a few of the accolades AECom has earned:
- Ranked #1 in Engineering News-Record’s 2020 “Top 200 Environmental Firms”
- Ranked #1 in Transportation and General Building in Engineering News-Record’s 2020 “Top 500 Design Firms”
- Named one of Fortune magazine’s “World’s Most Admired Companies” for the sixth consecutive year
What Does the Master Plan Do?
According to the City, “The Master Plan serves as a tool to ensure we are maximizing the use of our facilities, community centers and parks. Additionally, the Master Plan provides future direction in regard to open space, recreation, and park planning, aligning with Strategic Goal #1, Inclusive Community, by ensuring that we plan for the diverse facilities and programs required by our residents. The Master Plan provides a comprehensive analysis of existing resources and those necessary to meet the future needs of the City.”
The Master Plan, which was adopted by the Tamarac City Commission on May 13, 2015, serves as a guiding document as the Mayor, Commission and community work together to consider the Plan recommendations and prepare for Tamarac’s future growth and diversity.
Master Plan Highlights
- The Plan covers a 20-year timespan
- It establishes a “long range vision to address the identified recreational and social needs and priorities including park land; historical, cultural, and natural resources; recreation facilities; and programs”
- The Plan includes 5, 10, 15 and 20-year implementation strategies, including a Capital Improvement Plan (CIP), maintenance and operations guidelines and standards, and opportunities for funding. You can learn more about the City’s capital improvement projects here.
- The Plan is broken into four main sections:
- Existing Conditions Analysis
- Needs and Priorities Assessment
- Long-Range Vision
- Funding and Implementation Strategy
Where Can I Find Out More?
You can learn more about the Master Plan here: https://www.tamarac.org/DocumentCenter/View/2403/Parks-and-Recreation-Master-Plan?bidId=.